Proper levels of personal hygiene are essential in the fight against infection with the following being adhered to by any employee within a work setting:
- Nails should be kept short so that they cannot harbour bacteria.
- Hair should be tied back.
- Showering or bathing should be regularly carried out.
- Hair should be washed.
- Clothing must be freshly laundered – uniforms should not be worn outside of the setting to avoid potentially infecting other locations.
- Clothing should be removed before re-entering the family home and should not be worn outside of work if it has not been fully covered.
- Watches and rings should not be worn as these too can provide breeding areas for bacteria.
- Hands should be washed frequently.